Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.


The other day I posted on facebook that I was confused about the holidays. A friend's comment about poor Thanksgiving not getting its month got me thinking and I have to agree with her. It's this lovely, warm, beautiful, earthy holiday that's all about family and togetherness. And of course food, which I love. But it's getting taken over by big, red, greedy, sparkly, bully Christmas who just keeps encroaching more and more every year. I see decorations on sale with the school supplies. 


I get that if you sell it, they will buy. I myself was tempted to buy limited edition Christmas ziplocs just 3 days after Halloween because what if I end up making cookies for friends and need something to put them in but all of the ziplocs are gone because they're LIMITED EDITION? And then I realized the ridiculousness of what was going through my brain. So what if the Christmas ziplocs are sold out? Will the world end? Because if I don't make the cookies, I'll be using Christmas ziplocs well past Easter with the rate that we use them. And honestly? Are my fiends going to realize that they could have had Christmas ziplocs if by some miracle I DO end up making cookies?

I find it's easier not to venture into stores more than necessary starting after Halloween. The merchandisers are on their a game at this time of the year. They put out all things sparkly and shiny and 'limited edition' knowing I have just so much willpower and this will likely be enough to toss me over the edge and begin a spending spree. All of those 'just so' displays make me feel 'just so' worthless. My mantle isn't that sparkly. My lights don't flash like that. And I'm sure that's what they're going for. Because if I just buy all of their sparkly and shiny things, my home will be as beautiful as everyone else's and I'll finally be enough. 

I feel like that's Thanksgivings biggest hurdle. There just isn't enough money in togetherness. Thoughtfulness doesn't leave you wanting to buy and put up a giant dancing inflatable turkey in your front yard. Thankfulness doesn't leave you searching for a way to cure your perceived inferiority with the use of your wallet. 

So far, I've resisted the pull of Christmas but it's only November 5th. I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting sucked in before Thanksgiving but I'd really like to keep our family's focus on this beautiful November holiday before the bully beats us down. There'll be enough of that in December. 

No comments:

Post a Comment