Monday, November 3, 2014

Offering a moment of silence


With a busy weekend behind me, I'm always grateful to greet a Monday morning. Yes. I really wrote that. I actually enjoy Mondays. It's a time for me to get back to center and since today is a beautifully clear and blustery cold day, I've decided to take a little walk after the kiddos are at school. (Understandably another reason that I like Mondays. "Mommy time" is a highly valued commodity these days.)

There's something about sun and silence and the freedom to think that magically calms my brain, orders my thoughts and refills my heart. I spend my days being bombarded with information and requests - from TV, the internet, my children to name a few - and sometimes it's all just too much for me to hold on to. Walking outside alone, I hear the sound of my sneakers hitting the pavement; the crunch of the leaves under my feet; birdsong and wind chimes high in the trees and my thoughts are free to come and go. They are able to be explored. Or ignored as the case may be. To be acknowledged, processed. It's always amazing to me how patient a calm mind can be. It is able to focus and wait instead of scattering and panicking. 

So in exchange for half an hour in the cold, I get creativity, patience, exercise, freedom, invigoration, and joy. Not a bad deal. 

How do you get back to center when life scatters you?

No comments:

Post a Comment