Friday, September 19, 2014

Of whines and waves

I'm headed to the beach this weekend for some much needed grown up time with friends. As I wandered around the quiet house this morning gathering things - too many things - that I needed to take with me, I was surprised at how reluctant I was to leave my sweet little family. They would be having so much fun, enjoying beautiful fall days, running in the sunshine and all without me. Sniff sniff. But then my girls woke up. And the urge to flee returned. 

Being a mom of two sometimes feels like how I imagine being a rapid cycling bipolar must feel. I love them fiercely and with all of my heart and in the next instant I seriously question what I did so wrong in a past life to deserve this kind of maddening behavior from these two little button pushers.

Me: Go put on your shoes. 
5 minutes later
Me: Go put on your shoes
5 more minutes later:
Me: Go put on your shoes.
Me:Why don't you have your shoes on?
Littlest: What???
Me: Sigh. 

As you moms know, it's these little moments that can make you utterly  crazy.  They also make me appreciate any time I get to myself. As I'm writing this, I'm sitting at the car wash, loving that I don't have a single person's attention and nobody is asking me for anything. I used to think that the world was a very loud place but after having two kids talking at you all day, I think a demolition site would seem quiet as long as nobody was talking to me. 

Anyway, by sunset tonight I will be smelling the salt air and hearing the ocean waves so all will be right with the world again. I'll miss my family and I know that they'll have a great time without me.  I can't wait to hear all about their weekend when I get back and tell them all about mine but they're daddy's problem now. I'm beach bound bitches!

No comments:

Post a Comment